January and February are great months to get “organized” indoors. Since the weather is cold in most of the country, it allows you time to get to those projects that have been on your list.
Digitizing Photos, Slides, VHS tapes
• Do you have shoe boxes, plastic tubs and albums full of photos? Create more space in your closets by reducing the bulk of tubs and albums and place those photos onto a DVD. One DVD can hold about 1,800 to 2,100 images.
• Remove photos from albums and arrange by 3 x 5, 4 x 6, 5 x 7 and 8 x10. Once you get a stack of about 1 ½ inches high rubber band them vertically and horizontally.
• Take pictures out of frames and donate the albums and frames.
• Slides take them out of the carousel and rubber band about a 2 inch stack. Recycle the carousel and cardboard case.
• Complete Relocation Solutions can have your photos, slides, VHS tapes digitized. Ask us about it.
check out Better Homes and Gardens on their ideas: click on link http://www.bhg.com/decorating/storage/organization-basics/how-to-organize-photos/
• If you cannot park your car in the garage this season, it might be a good reason to organize the garage.
• Shelving can create a lot of space to put tools, paint, garden and yard equipment, shoes and boots.
• Hanging items from the ceiling creates space on the floor. Consider hanging bikes, folding chairs, leaf blowers from bike “type” hooks. Arrange all hanging so you don’t hit your head on the items. Consider back of garage in the middle.
• Use the walls of the garage to hang items such as: rakes, brooms, shovels, folding tables, recycling cloth bags, bungie cords, umbrellas, just to name a few.
• There is shelving that you can pull your car hood up to and under the shelving with shelves above if you truly need garage shelving space.
• As we have finished 2015 and preparing for tax season in April, one should shred all old documents from 2007 and older. • In a 3 ring binder one should compile all your personal information in case you get sick, in an accident and your spouse or loved ones need access to your records.
• What needs to be in this binder is: list of all medications, pharmacy name and phone number and location, list of doctors names and phone numbers with address and type of doctor, a video from your phone of the contents of your home, what items do you want to go to charity or to family members, of course living will, trust, power of attorney docs for medical and financial, list of insurance companies with policy numbers and agents name and phone number and more.
• Complete Relocation Solutions provides this service for you with your help. Ask us about this service.
Getting organized is time consuming, but when completed a sense of accomplishment. Take a little bit at a time and then reward yourself for accomplishing a chunk of the task. As a professional organizer, I do know how much time the above takes. I’ve personally been organizing my photos to be digitized for 8 months and I am down to my last two albums.
Rita Woll, Move Manager and Professional Organizer